Individuals with crooked teeth and improperly positioned jaw have difficulty maintaining good oral hygiene. Poor oral hygiene puts the person at the risk of other dental related problems such as tooth decay and the periodontal disease. On the other hand, misaligned teeth and jaw affect a person’s appearance and smile. This may affect an individual’s self-esteem and confidence.
Orthodontic treatment is designed to correct misaligned jaw and teeth. With different orthodontics appliances from orthodontics lab, an orthodontist can help aligned the crooked teeth. Through this treatment, an individual can have a healthier mouth and a pleasing appearance.
Conditions that require orthodontics treatment
Although only your dentists can recommend any orthodontic treatment, cautions Orthodenco, the following condition indicates that you are a candidate for it.
- Overbite or underbite. Overbite means that the upper teeth are far forward, and the lower teeth are far back. Underbite, on the other hand, this is reversed – the lower teeth are much forward than the upper teeth.
- Crowding. This happens if there are more teeth than the dental ridge can accommodate.
- Open bite. This is the space between the front upper and lower teeth, whenever the teeth are clenched.
- Spacing. Missing teeth leave spaces or gaps between the teeth.
Appliances used in orthodontics treatment
Various orthodontics appliance can be used to correct your crooked or misaligned teeth and jaw. The following are some of them.
- Headgear. This device can be used to create space for teeth. They can be attached to the molars to help draw them backward, creating space for the front teeth to move backward.
- Lingual arch. They are used to maintain space if all adult teeth have not erupted. They hold space in the arch so that permanent teeth can erupt.
- Braces. They are used to straighten or correct misaligned teeth and jaw. They apply pressure to move the jaws and the teeth to the desired position.
With orthodontic treatment, you can be able to prevent other adverse dental problems and diseases as well as improve your appearance. Besides, with different orthodontic appliances available, your dentist will recommend the appropriate treatment plan for your condition.